Are you sick of Amazon taking over your life? Do you want to delete your account and start fresh? If so, follow these simple steps and you’ll be on your way.
You may close your Amazon.com account at any time by visiting the Amazon.com Help Page and selecting the “Cancel your Amazon.com account” link. Please note that you will not be able to reopen your account once it has been closed. After your account is closed, you will no longer have access to Your account and its contents, including:
– Any orders you placed but have not yet been shipped
– Unshipped items in your shopping cart
– Payment and gift card balances associated with your account
– Prime membership benefits
– 1-Click Settings
Why you might want to delete your Amazon account
If you cancel your Amazon Prime membership, your associated Amazon account remains active. To completely delete your Amazon account, you must contact customer service.
Reasons why you might want to delete your Amazon account include:
-You no longer use Amazon and want to close the account to avoid being charged for Prime membership
-You want to delete your personal information from Amazon’s servers
-You are concerned about Amazon’s data collection practices
How to delete your Amazon account
It’s easy to delete your Amazon account. Just follow these steps:
1. Log in to your Amazon account.
2. Click on “Your Account” in the top right corner of the page.
3. Scroll down to the “Account Settings” section and click on “Edit” next to “Payment settings.”
4. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Close my account.”
5. Enter your password and click on “Continue.”
6. Click on “Close my account” again.
7. You will receive a confirmation email from Amazon confirming that your account has been closed.
What happens when you delete your Amazon account
Deleting your Amazon account obviously removes your ability to buy things from the site, but it also gets rid of your Wish Lists, Recommended Items, 1-Click Settings, and any gift certificates or card balances you might have. If you have an Amazon Prime membership, canceling it will immediately begin the process of refunds for any unshipped orders with a pro-rated refund for the elapsed membership time.
How to reactivate your Amazon account
If you’ve decided you want to start using your Amazon account again, you can reactivate it by logging in and updating your payment information. Once your account is reactivated, you’ll have access to all of your previous purchases and information.
To reactivate your Amazon account:
1. Go to www.amazon.com and log in using your email address and password.
2. Click on “Your Account” and then select “Manage Your Account.”
3. Update your payment information and click on the “Save” button.
4. Click on the “Reactivate” button.
5. Your account will be reactivated and you’ll have access to all of your previous purchases and information.
How to delete your Amazon account permanently
It’s possible to deactivate your Amazon account, which puts it on hold indefinitely so you can reactivate it later if you change your mind. But if you want to delete your account permanently, you’ll have to contact customer service and jump through a couple of hoops.
Here’s how to do it:
First, go to Amazon’s “Contact Us” page and log in with the account you want to delete. If you can’t log in, there’s a link on that page to request help with that.
Next, select “Prime or Something Else,” then “I need more help,” and finally “Chat.”
The representative will then give you a number to call. When you call that number, an automated voice will ask for the same information again (your name, email address, etc.), and then give you another number to call.
When you call that second number, a customer service representative will come on the line again, and this time they should be able to delete your account for good.
The bottom line
If you’re sure you want to delete your Amazon account, the process is actually quite simple. Just follow these steps:
-Go to Amazon’s “Manage Your Content and Devices” page.
-Click on the “Preferences” tab.
-Under the “Account Settings” section, click on “Manage your account with Amazon.”
-Enter your password when prompted and click on the Continue button.
-On the next page, scroll down to the bottom and click on the “Close my account” link.
-On the next page, select the reason why you’re closing your account and then click on the Continue button.
-Review your information one last time and then click on the Close my account button.